Ted Arnott, MPP
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 18, 2013
Rockwood to be home to new Catholic school
(Wellington-Halton Hills) – The Provincial Government has announced that Rockwood will be home to a
new Catholic elementary school, the second new school announced for the community this week.
According to the Wellington Catholic District School Board, the new school will have a capacity of 250
students. The Board hopes to have the school open its doors as early as September 2015.
“I want to congratulate the Wellington Catholic School Board and staff, as well as all the parents and
community volunteers who have put so much effort into bringing a Catholic school to Rockwood,” said
Wellington-Halton Hills MPP Ted Arnott. “This has been a long time coming.”
The Government is expected to contribute $5.9 million towards the project.
Earlier in the week the Government also announced funding for a new public elementary school in
However, while Mr. Arnott believes that the new schools will great additions to the community, he
questioned the Government’s timing for the announcements.
“Our community is thankful for these schools and both are certainly needed,” said Mr. Arnott. “However,
I don’t think that it’s a coincidence that the Government has announced the construction of dozens of
new schools across the province at a time when the education system is in turmoil. It’s clearly a strategy
to shift attention away from the problems that they’ve created.”
The Ministry of Education’s website boasts about the construction of 39 new schools as well as additions
and retrofits to another 48 existing schools across the province. The news was posted on January 17.
– 30 –